Just Moved In? Time to Get Decorating!
A Place of Enchantment
Whether a fairy garden or home, flights of fancy start with the tiny things that make a miniature world come alive in the imagination. Things that make us feel that some fantasy inhabitants come to live or visit there.
Little furnishings, especially those made from natural materials (but wire and ceramic ones qualify, too) bring the scene to life.
Here is a compilation of ideas, materials, and mini projects for those who have made the dwellings and need to furnish them for the brownies or fairy folk that are expected to come and stay there.
Places to eat, places to sleep, and all the little necessities for comfort (they love their comfort, you know).
Fairy Furniture Made From Nature
Making Little Tables
Materials You Will Need
- Piece of scrap wood or bark the size you desire
- Rock for base
- Acorn cap for bowl
- Dried flower petals for decoration
- Glue gun and glue stick
Just glue all the parts together. Let dry.
Even A Child Can Do This!
Creative Ideas Given Flight
Take your imagination to the limit, jot down all the themes that this furniture crafting could take:
- Musical instruments? Why not? Pianos, flutes, drums (an acorn drum, anyone?)
- Tables, side tables, and picnic tables
- Chairs, sofas, stools
Have you considered making instruments? A keyboard!
Did You Read How Grandma Is Making a Fairy House?
- Grandma Can Make Fairy Houses Make a fairy house to delight grandchildren! I want to show you what I’m doing, so you can make your own delightful faerie home that doesn’t need to cost a dime and has *only one rule*.
Make Furniture for a Brownie Library or Elf School!
Tips to Remember
The video about the school for fairies is one of the best tutorials on making the twig chairs to go with your table.
1. All the furnishings need a glue gun to assemble.
Most need twigs and bark from forest forays. I like green moss, and if you don’t have any in your yard you can buy it from craft stores.
2. Sometimes the dried moss is sort of a grayish color, which isn’t nice unless it is Reindeer moss or lichens. If yours loses its color just paint it with a bit of food coloring.
3. Using bass wood from a hobby store is useful if straight-sided and even pieces are wanted (as for a bookshelf). Or you can use birch or cedar wood pieces in pre-cut shapes. Available in numerous shapes and sizes.
Cedar Wood Rectangles for your Projects
Already cut into shape and ready for kids to create fairy furniture projects. Plenty for tables, shelves, and bookcases.
Collect Materials, Make these Items
Do you grow Lambs Ears?
I mean Stachys lanata, a common garden plant. No? Perhaps your neighbor or friend may… locate a supply and then use them as soft material for a blanket. Or flattened and dried in a flowerpress or book, they may be used as rugs.
An easy fairy bed? Find milk weed husks , use them with the silky seeds.
The bed needs mini pillows! Just the thing for sofa cushions or bed pillows are the buds of the willow plant, Pussy willow.
Rose Hips, dried and hollowed for bowls and pots, much the same as acorn caps, but rosy and rounder.
Shells, collected from beach walks make pretty bathtubs or sinks. As seats or containers of small seeds and moss.
Twig Furniture is Charming
A Fairy Bed for Sleepy Dreams
Cute wire beds are available, and they are really darling accessories to add, but what if you want to make your own?
It will take a bit of time and work, but try crafting this miniature bed.
Take twigs and cut to size, glue together the framework. first a flat rectangle with slats, then the legs and headboard. Make the mattress, using gauze filled with milkweed silk or cornsilk. cover with leaf blanket and add pussy willow pillows.
Tiny Metal Daybed
Or for those who are impatient to finish the interior decorating, a darling wire bedframe is available.
The Many Uses of Acorns
The fact that acorns are easily found in many oak tree woods (where fairies love to congregate), and their very useful shape, make acorns one of the premier findings for furnishing a fairy home.
Let’s record a few ideas here:
- as bowls and cups
- as finials on the roof and posts
- add a twig handle- and the acorn cap is a cookpot
Useful Plant Material to Collect for Craft Projects
Mosses are Essential for Forest Faeries
You must remember a few rules for gathering mosses, responsibly. Otherwise it is better to buy a supply.
- Don’t strip all the moss from where you find it, take only small amounts and then move on to another source.
- Keep you moss slightly moist until you use it. Perhaps grow some in your yard as a sustainable source.
Mosses decorate furnishing such as table chairs and beds. Lichens can also be used, and Reindeer moss from a craft store gives unique character to the inside of a Fairy home- just glue it to doors and walls or anywhere.
Cart Home Dry Mushrooms
Gnomes count as fairies, too. Dried mushrooms make good material for fairy side tables, platters, bases, stools…
Tools Needed For Fairy House Projects
Snips and pruners to cut the materials neatly. Cut branches and twigs to size, for your projects.
A Glue Gun
This is a crafters necessity. Almost all projects involve gluing pieces together or adding moss and dried petals.
This wire comes in many gauges and is so handy for attaching parts together or as a stem for holding small things in place.
A Little Hammer
You might want to nail the furniture together.
Useful for adding glue in tight places or moving something just a nudge before the glue dries.
The Essential Glue Gun for this Project
A good quality glue gun for all your craft projects.
Did you enjoy this flight of fancy?