|Removed the ceiling plaster first
You would think they go together, old people and old houses, but we are finding that occasionally the two are in conflict.
Handyman and I have started back on our eternal (it seems) endeavor to renovate this old farmhouse, but our efforts turned against us. We are the old people involved, you see. We have one last major project that must be done, an upstairs bedroom whose plaster ceiling had finally been falling in, whose deeply bowed flooring needed straightening, and whose walls were sandwiched between and thus on the agenda for removal. A major undertaking for anyone.
This sort of work is now firmly in my husbands domain, while I took on the yard renovation that was past due. Little did we realize, after a rosy start full of vim and vigor, that we would outdo ourselves. Only not in a positive way.
We overworked, and our bodies rebelled. Water on the knee and a three week sciatica flare up for him, damaged knee and pulled calf muscles for me. Oh, we were a pair, I tell you!
However, we had made some progress in the meantime and I have some pictures. I am hoping to entice Handyman away from Facebook to fill in the how-to details so far.
And this is how we prod this old house blog awake…
|fixing up old houses
That is the question of the day, isn’t it? Well, though I wrote a small blurb about it early in the days of this blog, I found that Squidoo had no search results for it. That is right: a whole huge online community had no resource for understanding this concept that we do-it-yourselfers understand all too well.
So. I wrote an article on it. On the
Squidoo site they call them “lenses”, where people can take a closer look at a topic they want to know something about. It is surprisingly easy to write for the site, everything is set up to work like a very simple blog. Like a one page blog for each topic.
Would you like to read it? “What is the Mushroom Factor?”
About 5 years ago I had my son Nathan dig a trench for a drain line that would take the gutter discharge out to the ditch. I might mention that Nathan’s work standard was “excellence”, and he did an exceptional job on this! Anyway, this drain line was intended to not only handle sending the gutter drainage to the ditch, but also the planned future discharge of the washing machine “gray water”.
One problem we have had is the clogging of the gutters each fall by the tree leaves and needles. We have several large maple trees along with a large spruce tree in close proximity to the house. This results in a lot of leaves and spruce needles building up in the gutters. Very annoying to the effect that if you don’t get up on a ladder at least weekly, they will end up clogged. I researched some ways to eliminate the clogging and, consequently, I went to Lowes and purchased some 3′ sections of plastic “screened” mesh gutter guards. I think this will actually work for me. BTW, I have a metal roof, which presents some “unique” problems that call for “customized” solutions. I think I have found it.
I have roughly 300′ of gutters to deal with and have installed approx 64′ of material so far. I will be installing more of this material over the next couple weeks and will report my progress (and results) as the leaves begin to fall and the fall rains begin.
((In a couple of the gutters I utilized a “hinged” type metal gutter guard (also purchased at Lowes), that seems like it will work well)). My metal roofing calls for various customized solutions!!!