Sump Pump Update

The sump pump is working well. It is discharging the laundry wash as hoped for. What I am patiently waiting for is a couple days of driving rains to determine whether the sump pump/pit will deal with the basement floor seepage. Although we finally got about a 1/4″ of rain in the last 24 hours, it is not enough, so I “patiently” wait!!!

Sump Pump installation (Part 4)

Well, the concrete has cured. I bought a 12″ diameter circular paver to place in the bottom of my sump barrel for the sump pump to sit on. Then I installed the 1-1/2″ threaded-solvent weld PVC adaptor on the pump. Then I solvent welded about a 4′ section of PVC to that. At that point (about 3′ above floor level), I installed the check valve. Below the sump pit cover (at floor level), I drilled a 3/16″ weep hole in the discharge pipe. The purpose of the weep hole is to prevent airlock. From the check valve I made my connections all the way to the outside downspout drain, which will take the sump water to the ditch about 200′ away from the house.

After everything was installed and connected, I tested by dumping about 5 gallons of water in the pit. The pump discharged it in approximately 5 seconds. Pump is rated for about 42gpm. The pump sits in 4″ water and kicks on when water reaches 8″ deep, then turns back off when water level is down to 4″ again.

I normally do not like rain, and we haven’t had any for a couple weeks. (In my alternative universe it is 80′ and sunny every day and rains 1/8″ every night from 3-4am). However, since this isn’t my reality I am actually hoping for some drenching rains just to see if installing this sump pump will alleviate the wet basement issues and prevent water from coming up thru the floor and around the perimeter.

Sump Pumps (Part 3)

Well hey!!! Here I am posting 2 days in a row!!!

Today we (my son & I)finished excavating the remaining 4″ or so of clay/subsoil from our sump pit. It had accumulated a small amount of water overnight, which added to the weight of this subsoil. Anyway, after removing this remaining bit of subsoil (down to the 28″ depth), I placed the corrugated plastic sump barrel in it. BTW, I did drill alot of holes in the upper half of this barrel to allow for “under the floor” seepage into the barrel, which should help prevent seepage coming up thru the floor since it will now find its way to the sump pit.

Once the barrel was in place, I backfilled the outside area with 800 lbs of gravel, then topped this with 200 lb of concrete. My one regret was that I didn’t listen to my gut feelings on the concrete mix (which my contractor friends had suggested). My feeling was to use sand mix concrete or vinylcrete…and now I wish I had. The problem with the regular concrete mix is that you can’t feather out the edges to the existing floor for a nice smooth finish (because of the aggregate). With sand mix (or the expensive vinylcrete) you can feather it. Oh well, too late now. However, it is not really an issue in my 90 year old unfinished basement since aesthetics are not a highpoint feature of my basement.

I also ran my new designated electrical circuit for the sump pump. I already had an unused 20A breaker in my panel to utilize, so all I had to do was run the romex cable, install a box and a GFCI, make the connections, and test…and now I am good to go.

I will now let the concrete cure overnight. Then tomorrow I will install the pump and do the plumbing…and then report the results.

PHOTOS:

Sump Pit

post hole digger

barrel

spud bar in basement corner