What are Ornamental Trees? These trees are usually small with special features like interesting bark, showy flowers, or eye-catching foliage. An ornamental also has a pleasing shape and fits easily … [Read More...] about 3 Tips For Landscaping Successfully With Ornamental Trees
You can raise your own peacock
– Facts about these beautiful and useful birds
That’s right, Peacocks! Or peahens, actually….
Breeds available are the Indian or Blue Peafowl, Pavo cristatus, or the Javan or Green Peafowl, Pavo muticus. The Green is considered the more beautiful, but the Blue is hardier.
- The adults do well on turkey grower and some scratch (especially cracked corn in the cold months) in their feed ration. Greens from the grocer are always helpful during the confined months
- If you use a flat perch like a 2×4 they will tend to sit on their feet when it is very cold and thereby avoid frost bite.
- Be careful feeding any scraps, green or otherwise, when it is warm, for peas are very susceptible to botulism
- Peacocks become easily stressed
- They need a lot of room to move around
About that last point… When I first moved to my rural country home a neighbor was raising peacocks. They often flew over to my trees to roost. They have an interesting and unique call, which I enjoyed hearing and that is how I knew they were visiting…. they didn’t bother coming close to the house. But city folks take note!
Living With Peacocks
An Informative Book
If you wish to raise Peacocks, or have them reside on your property, take tips from this small book. Domestic birds are easy, as long as a few considerations to their health and needs are followed.
Keep a peacock on your suburban estate? This is your resource book. A very small book, with complaints that it is more like a pamphlet, yet having first hand information on how to raise your own birds successfully.
Find out all about raising peafowl, click here.